Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Critical Response #5 E.N


            Back when I was in my home country, words like ‘queer’, ‘gay’,  ‘homosexual’, ‘lesbians’ and etc, these words sounds very simple and easily defined to me, based on my knowledge about them. However, little do I know there are people that are actually living under the domain of these words, which I was only fully aware of it until I came to US. Back in where I was, I was only in contact with words like ‘heterosexual’ and ‘straight’, because that is common within the society that I was in. To me, somebody that has rarely seen such phenomenon or never had close contact with these words, I was shocked, worried, evasive, angry, distressed. Unlike culture shock, which I will be able to adapt when given some time, things such as ‘queer’ and ‘homosexual’ is like an alien, and I fear that if I move further in depth to discover the world behind these words, I will change, and not be able to integrate back to where I was.

            In Sedgwick’s piece of literature, her book explains that the reason I perceive ‘homosexual’ and ‘queer’ in the weird way is because this perception is being universalized, that the ‘heterosexual’ is normal and the ‘homosexual’ is abnormal. This ideal has become the trend and it is common for people to learn and follow it. As a result, there will be more people like me, thinking that we are normal and they aren’t. However, by having this kind of thought in mind, I also notice that there are details that aren’t covered. Just like every good thing, there must be a shadow, and the shadow can sometimes be overlooked because it’s not in plain sight. In this case, since most people is following the universal meaning of the words ‘heterosexual’ and ‘queer’, they have overlooked the fact that these words are just tools of labels.

            In my opinion, based on what I have perceived of Sedgwick’s piece, people are falling into the trap of the trend, because people are prone to conform to the majority, to not be left out alone and to be cast away from benefit. The creation of the term ‘homosexuality’ and ‘heterosexuality’ has lead people to choose a platform to stand on, and each platform represents a certain benefit and meaning. However, the presence of these 2 platforms has created a boundary between the 2 sides, and the power flows between them through the flow of trend. If the trend takes the upper hand of one side, then that side possesses the most power.

             




No comments:

Post a Comment