As with every weekly set of
readings, I find myself both amazed at everything I am learning and astonished
by all of the things I have failed to notice around me. Perhaps tiredness and
hunger at this hour may be a contributing factor, but I am so frustrated with
myself for my lack of accountability when it comes to knowledge of social
issues. I regrettably announce that the last social science class I took was in
high school 3 years ago, and up until now I have been taking purely engineering
courses. I take responsibility for letting “my degrees” dictate which courses I
take, rather than taking an initiative to explore important social disciplines.
As mentioned in the GLQ journal,
there comes a time where we all must “suspicion” and critically analyze how our
experiences and background may influence our ability to see clearly. I admit
that my cultural lens may be rather thick, but as mentioned previously by Morales,
it is just as important to realize where knowledge is lacking than to know
where it is present.
Throughout reading this collection
of essays, I could not help but notice that I had a difficult time identifying
with the underlying message of the writing: that there should be a pairing of
queer and Native studies. As a white heterosexual female, I found it difficult
to align myself with many experiences the authors were writing about. As mentioned in the Poetry and Sexuality essay by James Stevens in GLQ, it is
proclaimed: “ I have not suffered the oppression that my forefathers and
foremothers, or my queer historical brothers and sisters, suffered. I can give
voice to history and speak to what has happened, but I cannot speak as though
it has happened to me.” Although I cannot relate to certain oppressions or
identities spoken of in class, I realize it is my duty to learn and go forth
into society and promote this type of history by engaging in constructive
conversations. I do not wish to be put in positions of oppression or racial
discouragement, but there is simply no way for me to truly understand how
others feel without experiencing them for myself. I am frustrated that I am not
able to relate, and I am also frustrated that I know so little about topics in
this course.
By taking this class, I also realize
how little I know about myself beyond my hobbies, dislikes, strengths, and
weaknesses. I am amazed in class how students are so in touch with their
feelings, values, and realization of personal oppressions. As mentioned in the My Father, Cynthia Conroy essay, the
daughter believes the dad has much more clarity about his/her own inner life
and psychic needs than she does about her own. As a cross dressing male, he is
constantly faced with social hurdles and personal struggles. Even though I am
privileged in many areas, it is still my responsibility as a woman to remain
proud and powerful; taking note of ways I am oppressed and paying tribute to
the past that has shaped my opportunities. This brings up a point also
mentioned throughout the essays; the idea of knowing who your land belonged to
and their corresponding stories.
The interview with Virgie was a
refreshing way to conclude the set of readings, and I especially enjoyed the
part where she mentioned the idea of the body as a political entity. Our body
is our own, and we can do with it what we it. This reinforces the idea I
discussed earlier where we each have the ability to go into the world and act
as vehicles for the histories that go untold.
No comments:
Post a Comment