Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Critical Response #3

As a white, heterosexual male I am incredibly aware of those that are disadvantaged (or worse) as a result of the privilege I have. I am stricken with guilt and I attempt to be ever cautious of others and the way I impact their life. Though I may never properly empathize with these peoples, I can battle my ignorance through knowledge of their cultures and connecting with their struggles.

While reading through the essays I couldn't help but internalize the plight of the Native American, feeling ever sad for what people from my home-land had done. Through eugenics, genocide and settler colonialism my ancestors have wiped out not one, but many nations. Then, they have the audacity to define, dictate, and declare these peoples extinct.

In media today the plight of the cultured is often forgotten. Through the linearization of community and global societal norms peoples are coerced to disregard their heritage, and are taught that success is found through a level of ‘whiteness’. Growing in an impoverished area with many folk that were not of white descent and lack a proper education I was taught to speak in slang with a drawl. However, I quickly learned that if I assimilated to a modern, linearized culture, I was praised. Soon, my ‘whiteness’ had gotten me several jobs, scholarships and opportunities.

Assimilating to societal norms also severely affects my sexuality. Though I identify as a heterosexual male, I believe that my sexuality cannot be defined and is much more fluid than this. Defining your sexuality limits you as a person, but is constructive to societal groups and promotes success within a modern culture. As with sexuality, attraction is much more fluid than identified; as men we are often too scared by social exile to recognize this and disguise our emotions through cold shoulders and “no homo”s. Though puritans attempt to find god through ‘cleanliness’ it is this same ‘cleanliness’ that strips us of the spirituality that is within us all, keeping us from discovering our bodies, our personalities, and the strength within.

No comments:

Post a Comment