Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Interview With Virgie Tovar by Nia King

While I highly value all of the readings by Justice et al., I am most drawn to writing about the interview of Virgie Tovar by Nia King.  I felt that a lot of the points about storytelling were very important and resonated with the readings we had by Moraga, Anzalua, and hooks.  I am only aware of fat positive activism in a very limited way, so I was glad to hear more about it and to come across some new resources for it. 

Virgie Tovar, who self-identifies as a fat Latina femme, a writer, radical, political, bohedonist (combination of bohemian and hedonist), describes herself as a public intellectual, someone who generates knowledge for the public good.  She is academically trained but describes herself as loyal to the culture at large and especially the people who are marginalized within it rather than to a university.  

It was nice to hear some of the ways that Tovar articulated her role as a storyteller. Her description of needing to “grow up” and respect the stories she had sought out and publish them in their complexity really demonstrated the honoring of story and the responsibilities that go along with people sharing their stories with you. Her description of her decision-making process: “I can either edit out the complexity of this story, or I can tell the story and honor the person who’s hearing the story enough and honor the persons who’s telling the story enough that they will be able to work it out. And I decided to go with that”, to me exemplified a deep respect for the power of story and a strong sense of the empowerment that goes along with sharing ones story in an authentic way. Because these stories were shared in a vulnerable way, sometimes for the first time, through her book, Tovar made sure to be authentic and included the storytellers in the process.

Her articulation of the interconnectedness of systems of oppression was excellent:“I sort of see fatphobia as something that is hugely nuanced and complex, and it is part of the same matrix of patriarchy, heteropatriarchy, racism, classism, sexism. They’re all a deeply intricate part of fat phobia. So when I talk to people about fatphobia and why they should care about it, I put it in the context of even the seeming beneficiaries of fatphobia are actually victims as well. And this is true of any system of oppression.” I thought that this was a great point and it speaks to the importance of acting together with people working against all kinds of oppression because they are connected on some level, instead of opting out of acting against systems that “aren’t your issue” (because they all are!).

The power of storytelling, the interconnectedness of systems of oppression, the personal as political, the bridging of academic theory into meaningful real-life work, and the involvement and inclusion and valuing of stories that aren’t often told or included were some of the themes that connected to the previous weeks readings.  


I found Virgie Tovar’s passion and determination inspiring and I look forward to reading more of her work. 


Anzaldúa, Gloria. "To(o) Queer the Writer—Loca, escritora y chicana."
hooks, bell. "Theory as Liberatory Practice."
Justice, Daniel Health. Mark Rifkin and Bethany Schneider. Eds. Sexuality, Nationality, Idigeneity. GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies. Volume 16: 1-2. 2010.
Moraga, Cherríe. Loving in the War Years: Lo Que Nunca Paso por Sus Labios. (South End Classics Edition). Cambridge, MA: South End, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment