It was interesting to learn more
about sex versus gender in Gender Trouble
because the difference is still sometimes confusing to me. I understand that
they are different and gender is socially constructed but I feel that as this
point everything is just a label and is still putting people into categories
and it’s all engrained in language (of course, that doesn’t mean language can’t
be changed for the better). I think what probably throws a lot of people off is
that sex: male or female based off of genitalia and chromosomes and gender:
male, female, trans male, trans female, gender fluid, etc. share some of the
same words. Is the idea of someone’s biological sex an archaic idea all
together and should be thrown away in terms of categorizing people? This
question reminds me of Driskills quote: “we
need to look at gender, take what we need, and leave the rest to rot (Driskill,
p. 105).
I was kind of thrown off by some of
the ideas that Butler gave just because I think a lot of the writing was almost
philosophical. I have a hard time really conceptualizing abstract ideas and the
ideas/theories surrounding gender were almost broken down to the point where I
didn’t even know what was trying to be said. I did my best in discerning what
Butler was trying to say but some word choices like “substance” just left me
more confused in the end.
I think that both Driskill and
Butler had important ideas and theories about gender but I think that they both
came from different centers in what they believe were the biggest influences of
gender. I think that Butler’s ideas/theories fall more along the lines of
gender being performative whereas Driskill relates his ideas/theories about
gender more to colonization. I don’t necessarily think one idea is more
important or right than the other but think that they both add important ideas
to the overall conversation about gender.
These readings drew me to research
more about intersex folk because although we grazed over what the definition of
intersex is in my Introduction to Queer Theories course, I still didn’t know
much about what it meant to be intersex. I think that the very existence of
intersex people proves that gender and sex and the binary as we know it, can’t
be as black and white as people try to make it seem. I think that researching
and learning more about intersex people, for me, backed up the ideas/theories
by both Butler and Driskill. Again, I was reminded that gender is so much more
complex than the binary and this linear form that some people unfortunately
thinks it takes (i.e. female-feminine-likes men, male-masculine-likes women).
No comments:
Post a Comment