Masquerade is an interesting concept brought up in the book Gender Troubles by Judith Butler. The
intent and purpose of masquerading is discussed, as in what is exactly being
masked? To me this shows that something has power. But where is the power being
held, by men, women, or the mask itself? One could say that the power lies in
the mask. The mask can blur sexual orientation and hide heterosexuality,
homosexuality, or masculinity. Within the text it states “woman takes on a
masquerade knowingly in order to conceal her masculinity from the masculine
audience” (pg. 52). Another notion is
that men hold a sense of power through masquerading. The mask would then be
used in terms of men’s desire. Women who are masquerading are participating in
men’s sexual desire and therefore giving up their own desire. On the other hand
Lacan explains that women who participate in masquerading expect to be desired
and use the mask as a tool to address her down demand for love.
As I read all of the different interpretations of the masks
purpose and intent, I really connected with and analyzed Joan Riviere’s
interpretation. She states “that homosexual men exaggerate their
heterosexuality as a defense against their homosexuality. I shall attempt to
show that women who wish for masculinity may put on a mask of womanliness to
avert anxiety and the retribution feared from men” (pg. 51). This made me think
about the mask in a different light. In today’s world imaginary masks are worn
by people. It is not the mask itself that holds the power, but by the person
who used an imaginary mask for their own intent. I envision this imaginary mask
as a false front or show that a person might put on to hide a sort of identity.
Just like Riviere discussed, men may act more masculine to exaggerate
heterosexuality to conceal homosexuality when they feel needed. Additionally,
women may try to act more feminine or less masculine to conceal homosexuality. Prime
examples of this can be found in the world of sports and used by professional athletes.
A reason for putting on a mask to express more or less
masculinity or femininity is due to homophobia. A mask would allow people to
conceal homosexuality in spaces they done feel comfortable. Riviere’s concept
of exaggerated heterosexuality is not only used by homosexual identities but
has also been seen in women’s sports. Within our society there is a stereotype
that more masculine women who play sports identity as lesbian. For heterosexual
women who fear being labeled lesbian, they will exaggerate their
heterosexuality in these spaces. Another concept that I would like to bring up
that is not discussed by Riviere’s or Lacan is the use of ironic heterosexual
recuperation. This is a different mask put on by heterosexual men to proclaim
their heterosexuality. These men portray homosexual acts and perform stereotypical
parodies of gay men through mocking homosexual behaviors. What is also ironic
is that men who do such acts, are seen as more masculine by other men who
approve of these acts.
To counteract notions of ironic
heterosexual recuperation, sexism, homophobia, etc. I think Qwo-Li Driskill in Intentional Masculinities¸ discussed two
important concepts that could help. The first concept deals with the value of
masculinity. Driskill discusses their opinion and states that “I try not to
associate values with gender I think that’s where this starts to become
trouble. To me, masculinity isn’t about values, its’s about performances.
Having said that, I do think that we need to be very critical and reflective
about what kinds of values underpin those performances, whether those are
masculine, feminine, or something else entirely” (pg. 102). Within sports,
certain masculine characteristics, performances, or actions are highly valued. I
think that this can cause problems within the social and physical environments
within sports. If we re-evaluated these values, I believe that notions of
homophobia, sexism, ironic heterosexual recuperation, etc. would maybe
disappear in these spaces. However, I do understand within sports why
masculinity is valued and that this will probably not change. Additionally,
Driskill brings up another concept that could address this. They state, “If
there are parts of “masculinity” that we don’t need any more, that are hurtful
to ourselves, our relationships, our communities, then why on earth keep them?
But if there are parts of “masculinity” that we really love, that we value,
that are fun or sexy and don’t hurt other people or the world, then we can keep
those things and certainly, be anti-sexist” (pg. 105). I agree with this
statement that not all values of masculinity are harmful or hurtful. Yes, there
are forms of masculinity within sport that cause violence harm etc., but at the
same time masculinity in sports can be a beautiful thing. Through this
re-evaluation of masculine values in sports, I do believe that violence, abuse,
sexism, homophobia, etc. could be reduced. As a result, bringing this back to
the first concept of masquerading by Lacan and Riviere, masks can start to be removed as these social concepts are reconstructed.
No comments:
Post a Comment