The personal is
political, Moraga quotes. "[P]olitical oppression is always
experienced personally by
someone." The formal legal equality Spade was so dismissive of will protect me—if I ever come out of
the gender identity closet—because it does
exist in this state and I'm white and middle-class and never been in trouble
with the law. But that's a pretty big if
in the middle there. Bad enough that the simple request "Ze, not she,
please and thank you" gets the response (and somebody did say exactly this
to me; in June, per the timestamp) "ze? I zee now that I am zadly ignorant
of zour zpecial line of argument." followed by an argument on why words
that aren't in the dictionary aren't words and it's okay to misgender someone of
nonbinary gender.
"In this
country," Moraga says, "lesbianism is a poverty—as is being brown, as
is being a woman, as is being just plain poor." And there shouldn't be any
ranking of which oppression is worse than what; playing Oppression Olympics
doesn't end oppression, it just pits oppressed peoples against one another.
"Within the women's movement," Moraga goes on, "the connections
among women of different backgrounds and sexual orientations have been fragile,
at best." Because we're so busy
playing Oppression Olympics to deal with the real problem—or to acknowledge
that we are, very nearly all, oppressors ourselves.
"Without
governmental support for the arts," Moraga says, "community-based
theaters"—and really any other form of art with a high barrier to entry;
short stories are much cheaper to get from art creator mind to art consumer
mind than television series—striving to create an art of integrity and beauty
are forced into dependent relationships with
whiteuppermiddleclassamerica." That may be one reason I mostly write short
stories. I have no limits except typing speed, and I have somewhat of an
audience who—however whiteuppermiddleclassamerica they may or may not be; on
the Internet, nobody knows—love to read about queer genderqueer people of
color.
No comments:
Post a Comment