Monday, January 27, 2014

Critical Response 3



This has proven to be the most influential week of material for me. I was literally moved by these authors, and brought to tears by Riggs. There is something about relating to others who recognize and own their “separateness” what touches me deeply. In theory, I understand that everyone, everywhere can be considered separate for one reason or another, and everyone has hurt deep down at one point or another, but when people dedicate their lives to expressing this reality instead of stuffing it or playing victim, I must applaud. Riggs made the deepest impact for me personally. Not only did he express his truth, but did so in such a profound and effective way. All of the writers bring queer histories to the table, and each from a separate background. Korean, Black, Mexican, Native American. Everyone fighting for their voice. Everyone fighting for their place in this world. The one true inspiration for me was the way in which all four artists did so, and were not overcome with strife. We often do what we need to to get by, to survive, to not shrivel under the weight of our misunderstood identities. Rarely do we thrive. I say we, because I am included in this mirage of separateness. I too have been under the thumb of oppression, either socially, personally, or globally. But every once in a long while we manage to see the truth. We are all one, and in seeing so, we can take these experiences we’ve been so blessed to hold as our own and spring forward, blossoming.

The one commonality I saw between all four writers was their deep desire for love, for passion, and for connectedness. This of course seems like a basic human condition, but in the eyes of someone who has suffered grave identity excommunication they can be the tallest of goals. Whether it’s Duncan catering to her mother and always walking a straight line, or Moraga who takes her love by force and realistic confrontation, or Powell who gracefully adds his input and considerations to any topic, or Riggs who uses his whole being to create space for change, all four of these artists recognize what is important to them and aim to shuffle through strife to attain it. I am truly inspired by them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment