This week provided a lot of really interesting material
related to queer theories and its development.
Patti Duncan and the “history of disease” provided me with a
look into Duncan’s world as the child of a Korean woman struggling to live with
oppression and illness in a white dominant male culture. Duncan struggles
herself with the false stories she recycles through her mind to maintain her
sanity while playing the role of caregiver to her mother. She goes on to
explain in her writings how, “The sickness is no longer her mother’s. It
belongs to her” (Duncan, p.160). The expectations by this dominant culture,
assumedly appear to be that Korean women are obedient, speak little if any
English, are to remain silent unless spoken to and able to tolerate a great
deal of pain.
Malea Powell and “Listening to Ghosts” offered a native
perspective that I could relate to in many ways, just as I did with Duncan.
Powell (2002) makes an interesting statement, “When I enter a classroom, in my
student’s eyes I enter as a teacher who is “also” an Indian.” This struck me.
Last week, I had a presentation on cultural competence in career counseling for
one of my doctoral classes. I had planned to lead with , just that,
acknowledging my own identity and sharing a bit of my story. The class
environment, however, made it seem unsafe for me to do so. Powell talks about
getting her first tattoo the summer she wrote her master’s thesis. I too got my
first (only) tattoo, nearing the end of my master’s, after completing a ritual
on the Paiute reservation. Powell talks about tattoos, “Leaving a space to mark
the presence of absence…Ghosts.” I could not agree more.
Cherrie Moraga and “Loving in the War Years” is a collection
of so many wonderful and painful expressions of life and living. Moraga shares
so much of herself in her writing. Something that was insightful to me that I
took from the readings and did not share on blackboard with the rest of the
group was when Moraga discussed the death of Marsha Gomez. She provided a
perspective saying that, “I still want to believe that at some point Marsha
made a decision toward life, that she offered up her body to save her son from
himself…” (p.208). A surrogate family raised me with six brothers because my
biological mother was killed when I was nine. Two years ago my youngest brother
killed my surrogate parents. It’s a pleasant thought to think Nay (tagalog for
mom) saved my brother Eyward from himself or from hurting others that night and
gave her life instead.
Marlon Riggs and his film
“Tongues Untied” was a powerful and artistic piece to view. While I understand
that I am different from Riggs in our identities, there were so many ways that
I related to him. Things he expressed that touched me, “I try to appear strong
and silent.” Riggs also talks about not fitting in anywhere and the idea of being,
“cornered by identities I never wanted to claim.” These statements seem to be
key to the development of Riggs’ theory. Silence also seems to be a theoretical
concept of Riggs. He repeatedly states that silence is his “shield”, “cloak”,
and “sword” and that “your silence will cost you”. Silence seemed to be a
general theme with all of the theorists this week. It is understandable why.
No comments:
Post a Comment