Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Critical Response #2 (04/14/15)

Colleen Johnson
Critical Response 2
QS/WGSS 462

Loving in the War Years: Lo Que Nunca Paso por Sus Labios by Cherríe Moraga, “History of Disease” by Patti Duncan, and “Listening to ghosts: an alternative (non)argument” by Malea Powell all discussed the complexities of connection to language and a desire to reclaim language, as well as the struggle to reconcile multiple competing identities. I found I could relate to both of these topics on some level.
            For Moraga, the Spanish language was something she grew up speaking, but later lost touch with. In an effort to reconnect with her Chicana identity, she put emphasis on language and regaining her fluency. Moraga discussed how different it felt to speak Spanish compared to English, and how it was comforting and home to speak Spanish. This connection to language was also discussed by Duncan was raised by a Korean-speaking mother, and learned to speak English with a Korean accent even though she never spoke Korean. As such she always wished she spoke Korean, as though that would somehow validate her identity. In a similar way, Powell is a Native American who only spoke English while the language of her ancestors is dying out.
Other than learning some Spanish in school, I have only ever spoken English. But I think this piece helped me understand the power of language, and one’s first language, as something that connects one to their own personal history. I have a close friend who lived in Austria during her very early years and whose first language was German because of this. She told me once that she often felt this disconnect with her own life experience because since her family moved back the U.S. she lost all her German. I never really understood what she meant, I didn’t get why she was so connected to German when she no longer spoke it, but I this piece gave me insight into how important one’s history is and how important language is to that history.
The complexity of competing identities is something that I have much more experience with in comparison. Moraga discussed the difficulty she had identifying as Chicana while being a gay feminist activist, as well as the difficulty keeping her Chicana identity while “looking white”. Duncan’s piece was about the disconnect between her identity as Korean with her lack of the language, as well as her identity as American when white people spoke down to her, or assumed she did not understand English well. I also think she had competing identities in her childhood when she was physically a very young, but was forced to mentally and emotionally be an adult. Powell discussed the difficulty in reconciling her identity as an academic with her identity as a Native American. She discussed the feeling of being disloyal to her people by teaching at a university built on the their burial grounds while participating in western theory and applying the English language to her Indian history.
All three writers felt they could not be both or all of their identities at the same time, they were constantly feeling like they must pick a side. This is something I deeply relate to as a person who is both bisexual and a practicing Catholic. I often feel that in queer spaces I cannot be religious and in religious spaces I cannot be queer. I think anyone who is part of a minority struggles with this issue of competing identities and the way expressing one identity makes them feel as though they are a traitor to the other. I often wonder if I am being disloyal to the queer community by continuing in my Catholic faith since the church still teaches against gay marriage, but I come from a long line of Catholics and it is still a very important part of my own personal history. I reconciled this by realizing that it is ok to not agree with all the teachings of a religion. In fact if someone does, they probably are just blindly following, and not actually thinking for themselves and forming their own beliefs. Powell demonstrated the ability to reconcile competing identities as well by acknowledging at the end that she can continue to write theory about her people at the same time as she works to reclaim their language. Moraga was also able reconcile her competing identities by reclaiming her Chicana identity and relearning her language. Both these works showed me that it is ok to be both, and it is important to accept yourself for who you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment