Thursday, April 16, 2015

CR 2

Esther Rodriguez
Critical Response Week 3
April 14, 2015
Queer Theory 462


“Listening to Ghost Stories” was a very interesting piece, though at times it was a bit hard to keep up with or fully grasp Maleal Powell’s narrative. Nevertheless, I think it was very interesting how she shared that she writes like an academic/scholar but that in order to have meaning in her life she must also do the “alternative work” as well. She also adds that to be a scholar and write theory is to accede to the terms and hierarchies of the colonizers. This must be really hard to say, and I think very difficult to acknowledge in particular because she admits to partake in this work. For her character, I can see how this can be very difficult and possibly make her feel conflicted constantly. Nevertheless, it is also brave of her to admit this and bring attention to it. Despite, the oppressive work she might do, I see that she and/or academics are still at a lost or position of powerless/inferiority; I say this because they are not able as scholars feel/show emotion and/or include their own personal stories/narratives. They must be unattached to their work. To me this actually does not make sense for it can dehumanize the work and theory; thus dehumanizing lives and alienating the work from people and scholar themselves. More so, I feel that instead of building credibility, it makes the work seem less true, authentic or relevant. I believe, just as Powell, that Creating alternatives is powerful. I have always thought so; reading stories/narratives have always gave me a sense of empowerment and truth to my life. It can be very liberating, as when we read “Loving in the War Years” by Cherrie Moraga and “History of Diseases” by Patti Duncan. All this type of stories might resonate with us or bring ligth/truths to our lives; nonetheless, it is also very interesting when Powell says that even in alternative settings/work we use the language of the oppressor. I think this is something that has been in the back of mind, inparticular when I lack words to express what I feel is right or justice. However, after I read this more directly this makes a lot of sense and I can perceive the difficulty that is to move around that. It is also very empowering to hear her say that many have been able or that we become able to transformed the enemies’ language.

In “History of Diseases,” Patti Duncan shares about how she is Korean and American. Her mother is Korean and her father is white. Though, I don’t have a white parent, I am a Chicana that has had similar experience or feel that I can relate to many of her experiences. I too remember having and continue to translated for my mother, and how the individual would/does not acknowledge my mom. Also, there has been times where she is treated disrespectfully. Nonetheless, in the world of discrimination and racism, I too remember my mother suffering and her continue suffer. I see and remember her suffering of sexism she is and has experience from my father and the rest of the world. However, just as Duncan shares I can also say that there are many sides to the stories and it does not begin nor end there. I can paint my mother as victim but also as a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment