Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Diseases of Stereotypes and the Ghosts of Our Pasts

“Because the pain is old, so is the cure…”, “Relieve the pain because she remembers.” In the essay written by Duncan it felt like the mother the entire time was never actually suffering the pain of her disease, but the pain of her identity and history. The mother was always constantly reminded of her difference, and the opinions and biases that others hold of this mother’s difference; talking to her like she is a toddler because they assume she doesn’t speak good English, presuming racial stereotypes, and only remembering the story of her ‘rescue’ and the wars. The disease this woman suffers isn’t what seems to be Alzheimer’s or some form of dementia, but the disease of stigma and stereotypes. The disease of stereotypes even exists outside of racial prejudices; it can be applied to gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, etc. This disease stereotypes individuals based on surface values, and the disease causes us to treat them accordingly to these prescribed standards and stereotypes, where you cannot escape them, even if they do not hold true, it is just as how you appear (just as how the mother actually spoke English, but no one would accept, or let her speak English because they had prescribed this stereotype, and this stereotype was to be held constant once it had be assigned). This mother’s disease went deeper than a simple diagnosis and prescription of drugs, the true disease lies in society, where we treat others poorly based on prejudices, stereotypes, and history, even when none of these may hold true.
In Powell’s essay history was spoken about in the aspect of the ghosts of past people, not in the literal sense of ghost like the blood curdling horror movies like Paranormal Activity, but the remnants of the people who once lived where we do now; the lives that these people lived, the languages that they spoke, and their overall way of lives with their individual stories. Colonially speaking, ‘Americans’ came and overthrew these ways of lives, and histories, and what was left was ghosts, the ghosts of the Native Americans. These histories and ways of life were lost and are not recognized in education, the educations we receive in schools are lies; we do not receive the honest truths with the implementation of the ghost stories. In the Powell’s essay I really liked the quote, “tattooing…[is] a way of rewriting trails across the signifying space of my body.” Tattoos are a permanent way to mark your body with the stories, histories, and ghosts that you want to tell. I personally really liked this because I too have the ghosts of my own stories and trails marked on my skin. I have stories of my grandparents in Yugoslavia, and I have my own personal struggles marked on me. Overall I think these ghosts need to be remembered, these stories are lost (making them this ghostly figures), but I want an honest education (in which Powell suggests), I want my education to be fully rounded with the multidimensional sided stories that aren’t swayed by the lies of our ancestors.
“Maintaining this wartime morality where being queer and female is as warrior as we can get” (Moraga, 24). In Loving in the War Years, the author Moraga expressed her struggle of being Chicana, yet appearing white, and also her struggles with her own sexuality (in the sense of self acceptance, and oppression). I personally really thought the book was beautiful, I have never read a literature written about a woman who is lesbian’s personal experiences, let alone the struggles of the race/culture influencing this. When reading the book, I thought it was enlightening to see how see feels about women, for years society has projected to use that if you are not heterosexual you love differently, but reading Moraga’s words, I realized that society is wrong. We do not love differently, we all get the same rush of the same feelings when we see or hug the person we love (in Moraga’s case this was Joyce). I also thought Moraga’s words about her struggles of being both a lesbian and mixed race was interesting, for me being neither I scarcely think about the struggles of both. I have a close personal friend who is both mixed race, and bisexual, and when she spoke of the difficulties it was hard for me to understand what she was explicitly talking about. But from reading Moraga’s novel I understand that in some instances a culture has it’s own ways, and then they being of a different race you are treated differently because of this, but in Moraga’s case looking white, she got to witness her family being treated differently, and struggled with wanting to accept her race, or ignore her race so she too would not have to suffer. Moraga also did this with her sexuality; she repressed and internalizes the pain without expression due to the fear. My close and personal friend, who is bisexual and mixed race (though appears white), has talked about her siblings looking more African American than her, and always being treated differently, and not wanting to talk to her family about her sexuality because of the fear of not being accepted. Hearing Moraga’s words had me understand the reasons why my friend wouldn’t be expressive of both her race and sexuality, and internalize the pain of not expressing these, it actually touched me that someone could be in so much pain for thing that are so much themselves. 



No comments:

Post a Comment